Sunday, October 7, 2007

Welcome to the academic year, with some advice




HAPPY MOON HOLIDAY
Students,
Welcome to the new academic year.
This email is being sent to all students in all my classes to explain basic issues you should know.
1. First, all email sent to me must have a CLEAR SUBJECT LINE. I never open email unless I'm certain who it is from. A clear Subject Line looks like this:
Subject: Hi, I'm Bob from your Bible Class.
Any other Subject Line is usually no good, though sometimes I recognize usernames. Sometimes even using my subject line may not be good enough, because my Subject Line is not clear enough and I forget what I wrote in my Subject Line six days ago! For example, I may have written, Subject Line: Regarding textbooks, but when you return the email it may look like advertisement. So even then it's best to compose a new Subject Line based on the model I gave above.
2. Though I try to co-post my emails to you to my blog (all should have permissions by now), still, I may forget; in all cases if you don't receive a next week's assignment when you think you should, always email me to this effect. An email will not trouble me.
3. I NEVER open attachments. That means NEVER. So don't send attachments.
4. By now you should know how to send material "inline." Otherwise copy and paste the following way. Control-A highlights ALL the text you wish to copy; Control-M or -N will open a new message box; Control-V will PASTE the text in the message box rather than an attachment. You should learn this because many US or British colleges no longer open attachments.
5. Attendance and punctuality are required in all my classes. Although I allow three absences, "no absences" will benefit students who are on the borderline of passing or who might need one point to reach 80 instead of 79, etc. Two late shows count as one absence.
6. Usually all handouts are meant to be printed up and brought to class. There are exceptions, such as explanatory comments (like this one), holiday greetings, or emails that have in thier Subject Line, NOT REQUIRED READING.
7. I tend to overformat my email. I understand this may be good to view on the screen but may use a lot of printer ink (esp. with pictures). So just go through the copy-and-paste cycle I showed before and paste the text into Wordpad or Notepad and the text will appear as a plain text file that you can print up very economically as one page instead of 4 pages.
8. If you choose to change your email ALWAYS do this by email, giving your old email (now listed in my address book) as well as the replacement).
9. ALWAYS SIGN EACH EMAIL. I advise all students in fact to use an automatic signature with complete name in English, student ID, etc. so without typing it in each time, it will show by default. It's a good habit. However, this is not necessary. But sign your complete name, such as Sylvia Chen (your class should be noted in the Subject Line). I am too busy to try to figure out who sent me an email or try to match your username with a name on a signup sheet. ALWAYS sign your complete name at the beginning or end of each email.

No comments: