Tuesday, October 9, 2007

2 Songs Week of 11 October 2007

Poor Jenny
The Everly Brothers almost invented Rock harmony as we know it today. Simon and Garfunkel, among so many other duos, paid them homage; and in fact it's unthinkable that duo would have existed without the example set by the Everlys. Raised in Kentucky, they blended piercing Bluegrass harmonies with rhythmic acoustic guitar riffs and a beat. In effect, they packaged Bluegrass for teenagers and sold millions. They had numerous hits in the 1950s on Cadence Records, such as "Bye Bye Love," "Wake Up, Little Susie," "All I Have to Do Is Dream," and "Let It Be Me," and the comic, "Bird Dog." As was common in that period, a ballad would be backed with an uptempo song; sometimes both sides became hits. "Poor Jenny" was a comic uptempo number about a wild weekend, as typical today among young people as it was then:
I took my little Jenny to the party last night At ten o'clock it ended in a heckuva *polite form of: hell of a
fight When someone hit my Jenny she went out like a light Poor Jenny
And then some *quickly
joker went and called the cops on  *clown, fool, troublemaker
the phone So everybody scattered out for places unknown I couldn't carry Jenny so I left her alone Poor Jenny Well Jenny had her picture in the paper this morning She made it with a
bang According to the story in the paper  *noise, splash
this morning Jenny is the leader of a teenage gang  Jenny has a brother and *youthful troublemakers or criminals

he's hot on my trail Her daddy *chasing someone, like a dog
wants to ride me out of town on a rail *violently chase out
I hope I'll be around when Jenny gets out of jail Poor Jenny  I went downtown to see her, she was locked in a cell She wasn't very glad to see me, that I could tell In fact, to tell the truth, she wasn't lookin' too well Poor Jenny Her eye was black, her face was red, her hair was a
fright She looked as though she'd *terrible
been a-crying half of the night I told *crying
her I was sorry, she said "Get out of sight" Poor Jenny It seems a shame that Jenny had to go get apprehended, a heckuva fate *captured, caught **hell of a (polite)
This party was the first one she ever had attended It had to happen on our very first date  Jenny has a brother and he's
 hot on my trail Her daddy *close to finding him

wants to ride me out of town on a rail I hope I'll be around when Jenny gets out of jail Poor Jenny!

JENNY, JENNY
Born Richard Pennimann, with a Gospel background, as Little Richard he became one of the more wild performers of the early Rock era. His vocal style borrowed from Marion Williams' Gospel records a distinctive whoop, which can be heard on almost all his records, including this one. He would usually signal the musical bridge (break) by a wild holler or scream, as here. During an airplane turbulence, he promised God that if he was saved, he would give up Rock 'n' Roll for Gospel. In fact, he gave up Rock for several years, entered the Christian ministry and recorded some Gospel records. Later he returned, but his time had gone. But along with Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, the Everly Brothers, and Elvis he remains among the greatest of the first generation of Rock and Rollers. His music is timeless.
Jenny, Jenny, Jenny, won't you come along with me, Jenny, Jenny, woo, Jenny, Jenny (2), you know that I love you, we can live so happily. Jenny, Jenny, woo, Jenny, Jenny. Spinning, spinning, spinning, like a spinning top. (2) Crazy little partner, you ought to see us reel and rock. Jenny you know that you're my girl (2), you know that I need you, I'll buy you a diamond ring
and pearls.
    Jenny, Jenny, Jenny, won't you come along with me Jenny, Jenny (2), you know that I love you we can live so happily, Jenny, Jenny.
Spinning, spinning, spinning, like a spinning top, spinning, spinning (2). Crazy little partner, you ought to see us reel and rock. Jenny, Jenny, Jenny you know that you're my girl, Jenny, Jenny (2), you know that I need you, I'll buy you a diamond ring and pearls.

No comments: