Monday, October 15, 2007

Songs Week of 16 October 2007

Songs Week of 16 October 2007

THE GOLD DIGGERS' SONG
("We're in the Money")
Ginger Rogers introduced this Harry Warren-Al Dubin song in the film, Gold Diggers of 1933. The phrase, "we're in the money" is idiomatic for "we have a lot of money." Jackie Gleason uses that idiom in an episode of The Honeymooners for this week's study.
Gone are my blues and gone are my tears. I've got the news to shout in your ears. The long-lost dollar has come back to the fold, With silver you can turn your dreams to gold.
Oh, we're in the money, we're in the money. We've got a lot of what it takes to get along. Oh, we're in the money, the sky is sunny, Old Man Depression you are through, you've done us wrong.
Oh we never see a headline, 'bout a breadline today and when we see the landlord we can look that guy right in the eye.
We're in the money, c'mon my honey, let's lend it spend it send it throw it around! {Repeat chorus}
MONEY HONEY
This song was originally recorded by Elvis Presley for his first album in 1956 (self-titled Elvis Presley: see jacket photo, below left); but this is a later incomplete rehearsal take from the early 1970s.

You know, the landlord rang my front door bell. I let it ring for a long, long spell. I went to the window, I peeped through the blind, And asked him to tell me what was on his mind. He said, Money, honey. Money, honey. Money, honey, if you want to get along with me. Money, honey. Money, honey. Money, honey, if you want to get along with me. I said, Money, honey if you want to get along with me. {Elvis speaking}: We haven't, as you can tell,we don't know this song, we haven't rehearsed. . . ."
SIXTEEN TONS
A famous Country song about being in financial debt, a big hit in the 1950s in a version by Tennessee Ernie Ford:
Some people say a man is made outta mud A poor man's made outta muscle and blood Muscle and blood and skin and bones A mind that's a-weak and a back that's strong
You load sixteen tons, what do you get Another day older and deeper in debt Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go I owe my soul to the company store I was born one mornin' when the sun didn't shine I picked up my shovel and I walked to the mine I loaded sixteen tons of number nine coal And the straw boss said "Well, a-bless my soul" You load sixteen tons, what do you get Another day older and deeper in debt Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go I owe my soul to the company store I was born one mornin', it was drizzlin' rain Fightin' and trouble are my middle name I was raised in the canebrake by an ol' mama lion Cain't no-a high-toned woman make me walk the line You load sixteen tons, what do you get Another day older and deeper in debt Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go I owe my soul to the company store If you see me comin', better step aside A lotta men didn't, a lotta men died One fist of iron, the other of steel If the right one don't a-get you Then the left one will You load sixteen tons, what do you get Another day older and deeper in debt Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go I owe my soul to the company store.
THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE
This is one of thousands of songs that have become part of what is called the Great American Songbook: songs written roughly between the 1920s to 1960, when the Broadway theatre, radio, and movies needed a constant supply of good tunes with lyrics to match. This song teaches that, as the title says, the best things in life are free! Mario Lanza sang this song on his Coca-Cola radio program in the early 1950s. Lanza was the most popular operatic tenor in the world for nearly a decade, though he never sang in an opera house, preferring the more lucrative (money-making) field of movies and records. He had the looks to match his voice and for a short while was a superstar, until his untimely death at 38 in Rome, Italay.
The moon belongs to everyone, the best things in life are free. The stars belong to everyone, they gleam there for you and me. {bridge} The flowers in spring, the robins that sing, the sunbeams, they're yours, they're mine and love can come to everyone, the best things in life are free. The flowers in spring, the robins that sing, the sunbeams, they're yours, they're mine and love can come to everyone, the best things in life are free.

No comments: