Saturday, November 24, 2007

THE STORY OF RUTH (in pictures)

A summary of the book of Ruth from a theological, not narrative, perspective (click on image for music video).
    Though a Hebrew story, the student will see issues related to the Christian story:
    In a time of famine, God provides, as in the time of Moses (manna) or the time of Jesus (the loaves and fishes).
    In answer to death, there is life, and new hope: Ruth's child with Boaz is born: he is the ancestor of King David and Jesus.
    The story illustrates the Commandment of Leviticus, to love one's neighbor as oneself, which Jesus said summed up the entire Torah, or Law.
    The book of Ruth dramatizes the principle of universalism, a main theme of the prophets, which Jesus later will make part of his "Great Commission": to preach to the Gentiles.
    For those who wish to hear a pop song (1959) based on the most famous verse (1:16) from the book of Ruth, click here. The lyrics are below:
Whither thou goest I will go, wherever thou lodgest I will lodge. Thy people will be my people, my love, whither thou goest I will go. For as in that story long ago, the same sweet love story now is told, thy people shall be my people, my love, whither thou goest I will go. For as in that story long ago, the same sweet love story now is told, thy people shall be my people, my love, whither thou goest I will go.

No comments: