Monday, November 19, 2007

Songs, Week of 20 November 2007: Joshua and Judges

Bible Songs Week of 20 November 2007


JOSHUA and JUDGES

JOSHUA FIT THE BATTLE OF JERICHO
 One of the most popular Black spirituals.  The song refers to Joshua's battle for Jericho in the book of Joshua (6:1-20).  "Fit" is a dialect form of "fought."
    Joshua fit the battle around Jericho Jericho Jericho , Joshua fit the battle around Jericho and the walls come tumbling down. God knows that Joshua fit the battle around Jericho Jericho Jericho. Joshua fit the battle around Jericho And the walls come tumbling down Good morning sister Mary  Good morning brother John  Well I wanna stop and talk with you  Wanna tell you how I come along I know you've heard about Joshua He was the son of Nun He never stopped his work until, Until the work was done God knows that  Joshua fit the battle around Jericho Jericho JerichoJoshua fit the battle around Jericho And the walls come tumbling down You may talk about your men of Gideon You may brag about your men of Saul  There's none like good old Joshua at the battle of Jericho Up to the walls of Jericho He marched with spear in hand: "Go blow them ram horns," Joshua cried, "'Cause the battle is in my hands!"God knows that Joshua fit the battle around Jericho Jericho Jericho Joshua fit the battle around Jericho And the walls come tumbling down You may talk about your men of Gideon You may brag about your king of Saul There none like Joshua At the battle of Jericho They tell me, great God that Joshua’s spear Was well nigh twelve feet long And upon his hip was a double edged sword And his mouth was a gospel horn Yet bold and brave he stood Salvation in his hand  Go blow them ram horns Joshua cried 'Cause the devil can't do you no harm God knows, Joshua fit the battle around Jericho Jericho Jericho Joshua fit the battle of Jericho And the walls come tumbling down Up to the walls of Jericho He marched with spear in hand  Go blow them ram horns, Joshua cried 'Cause the battle is in my hands Then the lamb and ram sheep horns began to blow  The trumpets began to sound Old Joshua shouted glory And the walls came tumblin' down God knows that Joshua fit the battle of Jericho Jericho Jericho Joshua fit the battle around Jericho And the walls come tumbling down Down, down, down, down, down tumblin' down.

SEE THE CONQUERING HERO
This chorus, from Handel's oratorio, Joshua, became one of Handel's greatest hits. It was so popular that Handel included it in another oratorio.
See the conquering hero comes, sound the trumpets, beat the drums! Sports prepare, the laurel bring, songs of triumph to him sing! See the conquering hero, etc.
ZION'S DAUGHTER
Handel's hit song from Joshua was so famous it later became the tune for a Christimas song, turned into a Disco X'mas hit in the 1970s:
Zion's daughter, now your heart is full of joy, in a cradle in the manger lies a holy boy! Zion's daughter, with your sweet angelic smile, holding in your arms the Christ child, resting for a while!

Handel's hit captured everyone's imagination, including a German composer named Beethoven, who wrote variations on the tune for cello and orchestra, a bit of which we'll hear now.

THE SONG OF DEBORAH
The book of Judges is centered on women, good (Deborah) and evil (Delilah). One of the judges, Deborah, predicts victory will be in the hands of a woman. This is irony, because the reader (and Barak) assumes the woman is Deborah, but she turns out to be Jael, who slays the Canaanite captain, Sisera, as he sleeps. The story contrasts the blessed women Jael and Deborah, and the luckless woman, the mother of Sisera, who imagines her son is enjoying the spoils of war as, unknown to her, he lies dead.
Blessed above women shall Jael the wife of Heber the Kenite be, blessed shall she be above women in the tent. He asked water, and she gave him milk; she brought forth butter in a lordly dish. She put her hand to the nail, and her right hand to the workmen's hammer; and with the hammer she smote Sisera, she smote off his head, when she had pierced and stricken through his temples. At her feet he bowed, he fell, he lay down: at her feet he bowed, he fell: where he bowed, there he fell down dead. The mother of Sisera looked out at a window, and cried through the lattice, Why is his chariot so long in coming? why tarry the wheels of his chariots? Her wise ladies answered her, yea, she returned answer to herself, Have they not sped? have they not divided the prey; to every man a damsel or two; to Sisera a prey of divers colours, a prey of divers colours of needlework, of divers colours of needlework on both sides, meet for the necks of them that take the spoil? So let all thine enemies perish, O LORD: but let them that love him be as the sun when he goeth forth in his might. And the land had rest forty years.
DEBORAH: Handel
Three arias from Handel's oratorio, Deborah. Texts are set redundantly, so a short text is repeated and rephrased to fit the melody. The third text is a musical setting of the Song of Deborah recited above.


Cease, O Judah, cease thy Mourning. See the Days of Bliss returning. Yield your hearts to cheerful praise.

In Jehovah's awful sight haughty [proud] tyrants are but dust. Those who glory in their might place in vanity their trust.
 
Low at her feet he bowed, he fell and laid in dust his haughty [proud] head and late posterity shall tell that he bowed, he fell down dead.
GIDEON AND THE SWORD
The song says that God, not men, wins battles ("the sword of the Lord," not the sword of Gideon).
Oh, well it was the sword of the Lord And Gideon, Gideon, Gideon children And the sword of the Lord and Gideon I'm gonna lay down my sword and shield!
    Oh, well it was the sword of the Lord And Gideon, Gideon, Gideon children And the sword of the Lord and Gideon I'm gonna lay down my sword and shield!
    Great God! Well, read your Bible and you can read it right God called Gideon late at night About 4:15
    They tell me the time You ought to hear my God on the line They tell me that He spoke his words so sweet You ought to hear the shuffle of angels' feet God spoke again and He spoke that night Go on down, "Brother Gideon, smite the right I heard Brother Gideon spoke with Him,
    "Lord, my God, I got too many men." God Almighty told Gideon to do the rest Take them down by the Jordan, stand the test Some come a-leaping in two by two Gideon said pull off that shoe Some come a leaping in three by three Gideon said, "Lord, let me see."
Some came jumping in four by four Great God Almighty, I need some more! They tell me that the numbers ran up to nine Gideon said, "Now fall in line
    My God spoke, said, "I tell you when." He counted the number, there were three hundred men!
    Oh, well it was the sword of the Lord And Gideon, Gideon, Gideon children And the sword of the Lord and Gideon I'm gonna lay down my sword and shield! (repeat) Great God well you heard my story.
    That's the end Brother Gideon had a bunch of fighting men Some were old, some were young All got together till the battle was won            
    Prayer was the key, though, I do believe, You can't win a battle unless you get on your knees Gideon cried they tell me, shout Great God Almighty, they all ran out Some ran low and some wide
    You can't win the battle with God on the main side.
    Oh, well it was the sword of the Lord And Gideon, Gideon, Gideon children And the sword of the Lord and Gideon I'm gonna lay down my sword and shield!
    Oh, well it was the sword of the Lord And Gideon, Gideon, Gideon children And the sword of the Lord and Gideon I'm gonna lay down my sword and shield!

GIDEON'S BIBLE

Gideon's name is now famous because of the Gideon Bible Society, which traditionally places free Bibles in hotel and motel rooms. The society also hands out free Bibles on the streets, usually with only the New Testament, sometimes with Psalms and Proverbs. The society achieved pop immortality when The Beatles mentioned them in their song, "Rocky Racoon":
Rocky Racoon, checked into his room only to find Gideon's Bible.
WAFT HER ANGELS

Another one of Handel's seemingly limitless supply of tunes; this one mourning the apparent loss of Jephtha's daughter after he makes a foolish vow to sacrifice the first thing he sees after his victory. The oratorio, unlike the Bible, ends happily, with the daughter spared.
Waft [Carry] her, angels, through the skies far above yon [that] azure plain.
IF I HAD MY WAY
This Gospel song blends the stories of Joshua and Samson.
Chorus: If I had my way (3), I'd tear this building down. If I had my way (3) I'd tear this building down. You know Samson was a strong man, a mighty man was he. Till Delilah found his secret, she would not let him be. She shaved his head just as clean as your hand, Samson got as weak as any other man. But God still had a way and he tore that building down. Oh, Lord! If I had my way, if I had my way, if I had my way, I'd tear this building down. Oh, Joshua was a strong man, a mighty man was he. He fought the mighty battle of Jericho, yes indeed. The walls came crumbling, tumbling down, the rocks were piled all over the ground. God let him have his way, he tore that building dwon. Oh, Lord! If I had my way, if I had my way, I'd tear this building down. Oh, I said, if I had my way, if I had my way, if I had my way, I'd tear this building down.
Handel: Dead March,
from the oratorio, Samson


COME ON, JOIN THAT NUMBER
"Number" refers to the number of saints, or saved, in God's Book of Life, mentioned in the books of Moses and in other places, including Revelation:
Don't you want to join that number that no man can number (3), come on and join that number. Yeah, the holy, righteous number that no man can number (3), come on join that number in the air. (Repeat) Well you read in the Bible, you understand, Samson was the strongest man. You read deep down in ancient times, he killed ten thousand Philistines. Well Samson joined that number that no man can number (3) come on join that number in the air. Well, that holy righteous number that no man can number (3) come on join that number in the air. Well join that number that no man can number (3) come on join that number in the air.
SAMSON
A Reggae telling of the Samson story, with reference to a later character in Israel's history, Solomon.
Strongest of men, he was stronger than me. Samson was the strongest man in the days of olden until a woman take it from him. Solomon was wise, he had seven wives. Be careful of her lies, she will also paint her eyes just to get to him in misery. Woman and man were here since the world began, Woman tempted man, It's so plain to understand. Strongest of men, he was stronger than me. Samson was the strongest man in the days of olden until a woman take it from him. Woman and man were here since the world began, Woman had its man, It's so plain to understand. Stronger than Man. Samson was the strongest man in the days of olden until a woman take it from him.

No comments: