Sunday, November 4, 2007

DEUTERONOMY: SONGS Week of 6 November 2007

DEUTERONOMY: Songs
Week of 6 November 2007

FOREVER YOUNG
This Bob Dylan song, from the Planet Waves album is based on the Priestly Blessing of Numbers, with images from other Bible texts (Jacob's ladder, Leviticus 19:18, etc.).

May God bless and keep you always, May your wishes all come true, May you always do for others  And let others do for you. May you build a ladder to the stars And climb on every rung, May you stay forever young, Forever young, forever young, May you stay forever young. May you grow up to be righteous, May you grow up to be true, May you always know the truth And see the light surrounding you. May you always be courageous, Stand upright and be strong, And may you stay forever young, Forever young, forever young, May you stay forever young.

MAY THE GOOD LORD BLESS AND KEEP YOU
This pop standard is also based on the Priestly Blessing. Of course, etymologically (that is, by word history) the farewell greeting, "goodbye," is also based on this blessing, meaning originally, "God be with ye," which over time was contracted to the familiar form. (The blessing is also familair in Spanish as "vaya con dios," or "God go with you," which also became a popular song.)
May the good Lord bless and keep you whether near or far away, may you find that long awaited golden day today. May your troubles all be small ones and your fortunes ten times ten, may the good Lord bless and keep you till we meet again.
CHOOSE YE THIS DAY
This song, by Gospel singer, Shirley Caesar, suggests Moses' great sermon in chapter 30 of Deuteronomy, demanding that the people agree to God's covenant and choose life over death. As usual in Gospel music, Old and New Testament themes are linked; after all, the Law in Deuteronomy is a reformed law (a repeat of the Old Law, as the Ten Commandments make clear); in that sense, nothing is new in Deuteronomy; rather the people are asked to rededicate themselves to the law, "heart and soul"; in other words, that the people be, in Jesus' phrase: "born again." As in Deuteronomy, there's the complete emphasis on changing one's way of life, in social terms; everything must be reformed. The singer refers to Revelation as well as to Deuteronomy.
I was sitting in the back of the church one night. I didn't have a God in my life. In fact, I didn't know nothing about salvation. It was during a revival meeting. I sat there with a contrary spirit.
    All of a sudden there came a knock in the door in my heart. I ran to  the window of my soul. and I looked out.
    Jesus was standing there, saying, "Behold I stand at the door and knock. If any man will hear my voice I'll come in. and I'll sup with him. I'll make my abode with him."
    All you got to do this day is choose ye this day whom you shall serve. Will it be God or will it be man? Don't count the cost, before it's too late! Choose ye! choose ye! oh, choose ye this day whom you shall serve!
    I sat there and I stayed there. All at once I heard the minister say, "Shirley, it's getting late in the evening, the sun is going down. If I were you I'd make a decision."
    Good God, from a burning world, I heard that same minister say. "The Lord God Almighty (The Lord God almighty), oh he's soon to come, he's coming to judge everyone. There's no place to hide, there's no place to run! Choose ye! choose ye! choose ye, oh choose ye this day whom you shall serve!
    Good God Almighty, I was standing there, all of a sudden, I made up in my mind to give my life to Jesus. I ran down to the altar, I fell down on my face before the Lord, I said, "Jesus, save me today!"
    That night the Lord saved me. I've come to be a witness, Lord.
    He told me to go yonder and tell the policeman (tell the policeman) as he walks his beat, tell the governnor (tell the governor) throwing dice in the street (dice in the street), tell the lawyer, tell the judge, choose ye! choose ye!  choose ye! choose ye this day whom ye shall serve.
    Bless you, Jesus! I got blessings from the Lord. I went to and fro telling God's men and women, that Jesus, the only begotten son of God, was coming back to judge the world. Some of them laughed at me, some of them called me foolish, but I kept talking about Jesus. The other morning, I went downstairs, I saw the postman standing there.
    God said, "Shirley, this mailman needs to be born again." He said, "Tell the postman what he must do, tell the president to get ready too, tell the governor, the Internal Revenue, choose ye! choose ye! oh, yeah, choose ye this day!"
    I feel the power of God moving now! Now listen. You got to make a decison, you got to make a choose. You might be sitting in your places of business, but God says you got to make a choice. For you can't go to Heaven straddling the fence. Either you got to be born again or you ought to get out of the church.
    God told me to tell you one more time. Tomorrow might be too late. Don't put off for tomorrow what you can do today.
    What are you saying? Choose ye this, yeah, choose ye this day whom you shall serve.
HOLD FAST TO THE RIGHT
This also might have been taken straight out of Deuteronomy: the idea that people must be taught the Law (right and wrong) so they never forget it. "Hold fast to the right" is a paraphrase of the famous phrase in the Deuteronomist writer (not only in Deuteronomy, but in later Deuteronomist texts that follow: Joshua, Judges, Samuel and Kings): do not go either to the left or to the right of the Law, but keep a straight path. This motif appears frequently in Psalms and Proverbs too. Country singer, Dolly Parton, wrote this song.
Come and sit by the side of your mother, my boy, you have only a moment, I know. And stay while I give you this parting advice, it is is all that I have to bestow. Hold fast to the right, hold fast to the right, wherever your footsteps may roam, and forsake not the way of salvation, my boy, that you learned from your mother at home. In your satchel you'll find there's a Bible my boy, it's the book of all others the best. It will teach you to live and prepare you to die and will take you to the home of the Blessed. Hold fast to the right, hold fast to the right, wherever your footsteps may roam, and forsake not the way of salvation my boy that you learned from your mother at home. Hold fast, hold fast to the right.
DON'T LET NOBODY TURN YOUR AROUND
This is a familiar motif in Bible literature: to keep going forward at all costs ("Not to got forward is to turn back," as St. John of the Cross put it).
Don't let nobody turn you around (repeat) keep your feet on solid ground. (Repeat) Friends may come and friends may go (Don't let nobody turn you around), there's one thing that you should know (Don't let nobody turn you around), they'll pick you up and they'll let you down (Don't let nobody turn you around) but you got to keep your feet on solid ground (Don't let nobody turn you around). Don't let nobody turn you around (repeat) keep your feet on solid ground.

DON'T LET NOBODY TURN YOU AROUND
Gospel songs get around and appear in various versions. Here's a blues version of this same song:
Don't you let nobody turn you around (repeat) keep on the narrow road. (Repeat) The Baptists run by water, the Methodists run by land but when we all get to Heaven we're  going to shake each other's hand. (Repeat chorus) Cause some folks borrow money they tell you they will pay and when they meet you on the street they look some other way. (Repeat chorus) I would not be a liar, I tell you the reason why. O Jesus might call me any minute and I wouldn't be ready to die. (Repeat chorus)
MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.
The Bible has been used to preach, on the one hand, obedience to the "powers that be" and, on the other hand, defiance of those powers, based on God's higher law. This is now called Liberation Theology. Martin Luther King appealed to the Gospel song's message when he faced repressive authority (including dogs) in the American South:
By the hundreds we would move out and Bull Connor would tell them to send the dogs forth and they did come but we just went before the dogs singing, "Ain't Gonna Let Nobody Turn Me Around."
MARTIN LUTHER KING AS MOSES
Stories of the Bible can be used as types of righteousness and justice. The repressed can appeal to a higher law, as spoken by Moses, the prophets (as when Nathan condemned King David), and Jesus—as Martin Luther King does here. Here King is another Moses, seeking the Promised Land of justice and freedom, and knowing God is on his side. He might say, in the words of the famous hymn, "because the Bible tells me so." Note, in the final line, King quotes another hymn, "The Battle Hymn of the Republic."

But it really doesn't matter with me now, 'cause I've been to the mountain top. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will and he's allowed me to go up to the mountain. I've looked over and I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight that we as a people will get to the Promised Land. So I'm happy tonight, I'm not worried about anything, I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.

No comments: